Thursday 10 November 2011

First person post

‘The enemy within’ - (Turkish person (Ali) living in Australia)

My ears are burning, I’m not sure whether I am meant to be hearing all the crude comments they are making, but nevertheless they echo in my ears. As I round the corner I see Lachlan in his new, clean-cut uniform. His parents look proud. Mrs. Jones is hugging her son, tears glistening upon her cheeks. A large wagon is parked outside the make-shift dirt driveway, packed with a single suitcase with his belongings. While walking up the front stairs I can hear his father saying how proud he is of him. I wish my father could say the same, but he is no longer living with us. He has been interned, that is the fate for many of us now.
Lachlan and I were childhood friends. We were always around one another, however that all changed when the war began. People began to treat us differently. We lived like rats, scurrying around, afraid of what people may do. We loathed one another. For a brief second I can feel his gaze penetrating my soul. Sometimes I truly wonder if he ever regretted our friendship. I turn to capture one last look at him, astonished to find pure hate etched upon his face, how surprised he will be to see me one day, wearing the same uniform. Employment opportunities are scarce; enlisting in the army is probably the last hope for my family. I don’t look forward to it, but for their sake I would do anything. Who knows, perhaps I may gain back my own dignity.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great insight to what people go through and how war breaks up friendships. It was really deep guys, nice one :)

    ReplyDelete